Wednesday, April 8, 2009

ETTA JAMES & THE ROOTS BAND

Wed, August 12 at 8:00 PM
at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA
Even with a prolific catalog of great albums to her credit, it has only been in the last decade or so that Etta has finally received the industry recognition long due to her. Inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 1993, Etta received her first Grammy in 1995 (after nine prior nominations) for her Private Music debut album, Mystery Lady: The Songs of Billie Holiday, a collection that introduced her extraordinary vocal pro wess to a new generation of fans. In 2003, she was honored with another Grammy for “Let’s Roll” as well as receiving a NARAS Lifetime Achievement award by the Recording Academy’s National Trustees, in recognition of her outstanding creative contributions that same year. In 2005, Etta won her third Grammy in the Traditional Blues Album category for Blues to the Bone, an outstanding collection of covers of tunes originated by blues greats such as Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, and Sonny Boy Williamson.
Now with ALL THE WAY, chock full of contemporary classics and time-honored standards and running the gamut from R&B chestnuts to show tunes, Etta James is ready for what she calls “the next adventure! You know, now that I’ve lost all the weight, I can stand up on the stage again like I used to after five years of sitting down while I sang. I look out at the audiences and I say, ‘how do all these young eyes who are looking at me know my music?’ The range goes from 17 and 18-year olds to some of those older folks, 50 to 70 who are in there hollerin’ away for me to sing one of my songs! ” Looking and sounding great, Etta James is justifiably proud as she declares, “This is one of the best records I’ve ever made!”

No comments: